Next: Assignment 7
Up: Homework Assignments STA 6208:
Previous: Assignment 5
Due Monday, April 1.
Turn in problem # 1 (15 points).
- Problem 1:
- Return to the SMSA pollution data analyzed as an
example in class. Replace the pollutant variables in the data frame
by their logarithms. You may also transform others of the
predictors if you feel that such transformations are called for.
Then use variable selection techniques of your choice to identify a
``good'' model or models. Discuss these model(s). Your write up
and discussion should include:
- Computation and interpretation of R-squared, and the Cp and
PRESS statistics for the model(s) you discuss.
- Discussion/interpretation of coefficient estimates.
- Discussion of how closely competing models differ from one
- On the basis of your analysis, what can be said about the
relationship between the pollutants and mortality? Can a causal
link between pollution and mortality be established on the basis
of this data? What can be said if anything?
- How does your analysis compare to the results obtained without
transforming the pollutant variables?
- # 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.3, 8.5
Thu Apr 18 15:52:37 EDT 1996